Captains log: 2008, Good fortune or fate

Date: July 14, 2022

Time: 16:46

Position: 26.53.742N 136.8.259


Well, well. I wrote what I personally felt like was one of my best posts ever. The origins of the story of why and how we're doing this race, how everyone is feeling, all the stories over the last 24 hours and much much more! 


Unfortunately, despite me saving the document over and over, my computer crashed and it somehow deleted the document I was working on, just sentences before completion. So with that, you'll have to hope I can remember everything I shared. Now the boat is wildly swinging like it never has before, so typing, standing, sitting, any sort of being below is a challenge. And as you might guess, this means wind! Yes, wind, wonderful wind! 


Although it is currently a wild ride of bucking seas, sliding up and down waves, spirts and morale are at an all time high! None of us give a crap about the race anymore, we're just having a blast and l even heard someone say "I don't care if it takes another 25 days from now to get to Hawaii, I'm having the time of my life!". Personally I would still like to make it by the 22nd. 


Oh, the strategy. There were very concerned voices yesterday when I said I don't care if the plotter says were moving away from Hawaii, we have to go south to catch wind. We have to get into the trade winds...so we've been shlogging along since yesterday in low to no wind. This morning it started blowing and it's been building ever since. The crew is now extremely happy and satisfied that we changed course and head south. These have all been group discussions and everyone has had their input. Given the fact that the wind has been building all day things are really looking on the bright side. 


Tons of cool stories today about flying spinnakers, more tears, climbing rigs, all-man on deck drill and more, but those stories will have to come another day. 


OK, boat flying wildy side to side and stuff flying everywhere! Until next time! (Sea sick pills might be a side dish for dinner tonight)


Comments

Melissa said…
Oh wow, I’m loving the sailing action interspersed with incredible meals and deep discussions! So glad you’re all in good spirits.
Praying for just the right conditions to get you all to Hawaii by the 22nd.
Lori said…
I'm glad to hear the spirit of the journey hasn't died like the wind had! Gene and I were texting and were saying really it was about the journey. I feel the race gave him the avenue to actually sail across the Pacific to Hawaii!! Stay in good spirits and we're cheering for a great adventure and a safe landing!
Shannon said…
Following and loving all the updates of winds and the details of daily life aboard Solis. We still have faith in your strategy and making it by the 22nd. Celebrating whenever you arrive. Godspeed.

Popular Posts