Captains log: Volcanos

Date: July 24, 2022

Time: 22:31

Position: 21.32.54N / 156.57.90W


The air about us today was markedly different. Attitudes, smiles, contents of our conversations, and the view. To start off with the view, I got up at 06:00 as always to relieve Joe. First thing I did was scan for land but I could not make it out. I really thought I would be able to see something last night, but these islands have been eluding me. Joe went to bed then it was not but 30 minutes later that I saw the faintest outline of something coming up from the ocean and sure enough, it was Maui. These islands were shy this morning, all hiding behind clouds, barely revealing themselves to us. By noon I could make out big island, Maui, Molokai and Lanai. Oahu, our destination, should have been in range but it was the shyest of them all. Not until around 7PM could I make out a faint line, then confirmed with the binoculars that indeed, Oahu lie ahead. 


Our original destination was a finish line near Kaneohe bay, then a party at the Kaneohe bay yacht club. We unfortunately did not make the cut off, so decided to go straight to Honolulu instead of the gorgeous bay on the east side. Today we communicated with the race officials about our plans, at which time they told us if we crossed the finish line, we would be given our participation plaques, Mai ties and the boat would be decorated. This was enough for this crew to change course and change our destination back to our original destination of Kaneohe bay yacht club. 


Again tonight we drank champagne (thanks Nick!!) and reminisced about our trip. I think there were some teary eyes and shared heartfelt moments. This has been a monumental journey for all of us. Not the typical experience and possibly a once in a lifetime experience. 


Tonights sunset was another incredible rolled-gold sunbelt of yellow and orange delight. Surrounded by our destination, volcanos, a roaring ocean and strong winds, we feel our journey is just moments from coming to a close. I will probably post one more time after we arrive, but I do want to say thank you to all who have participated, supported or just followed along our journey. I'm sure all of us will be talking about this one for the rest of our lives. 


We expect a 4AM arrival outside of Kaneohe bay. We will probably make it to the yacht harbor by 5AM. So looking forward to seeing family and friends. 


Look forward to my last post after we arrive! I'm now setting my alarm for 3AM to wake up just in time to cross the line then make our way through the coral reef into the yacht harbor. 


Thanks everyone!


Comments

James said…
Congratulations to you all! It’s quite an accomplishment and yes, I think a once in a lifetime experience. We’ve enjoyed watching your progress and reading your posts.
margaret said…
Oh my! Congratulations to all of you! What an amazing experience on so many levels. Love to you and Gene - and enjoy every minute of reuniting with your family!
Anonymous said…
Joy is a splendid thing. You have done well, men.
I have followed you in my heart, checking my I-phone
repeatedly to share in your adventures. And I send my heartiest
congratulations to you all!
Justin, Talia and girls said…
We have truly enjoyed reading and following your adventures on the water! Congratulations to all of you. Sounds like it has been a fulfilling journey. We are sure you all will be happy to get hugs from loved ones, hot showers, and of course getting your feet on that terra firma! Enjoy those well deserved Mai Tai’s. Cheers from the Fort Bragg fam!!

Popular Posts