32 51'37 N 152 12'55 E - APRIL 16

Solis Log:
The lack of sleep is really painful. Luke is finally up and about today.
He and I have regained our appetites. Dad is still in bed but at least
he is eating in bed now. Today he's been able to keep everything down.

I really wish I could write more in these logs, but looking at the
computer just makes me so nauseous. The swells today are about 20 feet,
maybe more. But no breaking waves so all is well. Luke is actually
trying to catch some fish.

These guys have got to get over this sickness so I can get some good
rest....

I also had this dream. I dreamt that a large retaining pin had come
loose on the mast. When I remembered the dream I was sitting in the
cockpit of the boat. I looked up and was amazed to see the pin about to
fall out. It holds the lower shroud (lower support wire on the mast). I
climbed the mast and did a repair. It is not perfect and I pray it
holds. If it breaks the mast could break, which would obviously be
terrible.

Remember the sailing movies where the guys are catching fish, drinking
wine and enjoying the beautiful ocean? That's not the movie your seeing
this time. If you want to experience what we are going through, spin
around so many times your so dizzy that you start to throw up, then
stand in a cold shower with a fan blowing on you. Oh yeah, and don't eat
anything for days. You will get a rough approximation of what is
occuring here.

Looking forward to better winds and brighter days...

Comments

Unknown said…
Sounds like you have turned the corner and better times are ahead….. we pray and look forward to future post. Keep your eye on the horizon. Follow the advice of some of the other post and get Ron up on deck ASAP. Wishing I was with you guys, all my love and prayers.
Gene
Poopy Mouth said…
Captain D,

I'm glad that you guys are feeling better, but obviously YOU need to catch up on your sleep. Put Luke on the wheel, or, if you have to, start up the generator and use the autopilot for a few hours while you sleep.

Of course, it is hard for all of us to know exactly what you're going through, but your description paints a pretty clear picture. NO DOUBT, it's no picnic out there - probably one of the toughest challenges of your life.

I'm plotting your progress. Looks like your headed directly toward Midway Island - not a bad place to recharge your engines for 3 or 4 days. The white sand beaches look awesome, too. I can picture you relaxing on the beach while drinking a cold one. You're about 2 weeks out.

Get some sleep, Captain D; you need to keep those dreams coming.

Ganbare!!!

Potty
Taj said…
D,
With the King feeling better and doing a little fishing, perhaps have him take the helm and you can catch up on rest? (Serious dude)
Dad needs to get out of the front berth and up on deck. All the while staying hydrated and nourished... and don't forget the compazine (or other nausea Rx)too!
Keep the communication coming daily and I'll continue to post it up on the blog. Mom's still in Colorado with limited access to email/cell. All is well here. We're confident in you and proud of the decisions you're making. Keep positive and continue to encourage each other. Soon you'll reach smoother, warmer waters and according to Potty, you may want to consider Midway Island for a little R&R. There's also medical facilities and an airstrip located there which means access to a short hop to Hawaii (if you catch my flow...)
All my love,
Taji-san
Toni said…
I'm so grateful to hear there's a little bit of relief finally and Luke is up and everyone is eating. I keep holding you all like you're on this amazing oceanic Vision Quest....some kind of Pilgrimage to tap into the deeper strength inside each one of you. I'm connecting there and sending you love with faith and trust. Hey Ron, I miss you like crazy....don't forget to "talk to the water." Love and hugs, Toni
Ganbatte said…
I agree -- please let Luke take control so you can get some rest, Darshaun. It sounds like you really need it.

Keep your spirits high. =) I am so impressed with your journey. Know that your friends and family are wishing you so much love and strength through all your tribulations.

Miss you and can't wait to see you in Berkeley!



Steven

Popular Posts