That one almost hit us...

Solis log: 33 32'38N 169 22'42E

This morning I was on deck trimming sails. Dad was sick again this morning so he had come out on deck to get some fresh air. I looked at him to say something and just off the bow of the boat about 15 feet away was a big splash. It surprised me and actually kind of frightened me as it resembled a wave hitting a rock more than the splash of a wave just breaking over. And then the sound....the unmistakable sound of a massive exhale then a breath. At that moment Dad turned around and saw it too. I hollered "whale!!". It was not swimming with us, but had come almost at 90 degrees toward the bow of the boat and must have just barely tucked itself down low enough that we did not hit it with the keel of the boat when we went over it. Luke was sleeping but sprang out of bed to catch a glimpse of what was going on. Dad questioned me as to whether or not it was actually a whale or not. It was small (for a whale), at probably 20 feet or so. And then as we watched, another one appeared. This time there were two small ones swimming with us in the same direction, just at the surface. It was so exciting. We were just talking about how small they were when suddenly even closer, just 20 feet from the boat a large whale appeared, probably about the same size as my boat, about 50 feet. They played only momentarily with us and I feared a ramming...I don't know how common it is but a friend of mine was rammed and I often read about it in the sailing magazines. They started going their own way and within just a couple of minutes they were gone. We watched the horizon for some time, then off about half mile we saw multiple spouts in a cluster. Probably 5 to 8 of them. And that was it.
I wish I knew what type they were. They had very smooth looking skin, a dark gray almost black color. Around their blow hole it was built up almost resembling the rim of a crater. Their dorsal fins were so small it seemed out of proportion in relation to the size of its' body. I did not get a good glimpse of its' tail fin or flippers.
What a morning treat...another treat was that Luke made English tea and served cookies for breakfast. On the topic of food it has been quite an interesting ride. My appetite is in full swing, but there are still certain things that seem so strange to me. I'm a coffee lover. I usually have coffee three or so times per day. I have for years...but it's the strangest thing. In the beginning of the trip when I was not feeling so hot none of us wanted to even drink coffee, let alone try and negotiate hot water and a swinging stove in rough conditions. But since things have calmed down, the thought of coffee is one thing that will actually get me moving in the nauseous direction. Luke and I tried a cup a couple of days ago. It was awful. I could barely drink it. The coffee wasn't so bad, but it just doesn't sit right with us out here. All three of us are coffee lovers so we loaded up with pounds of grounds before the trip...I think we'll still arrive in Hawaii with pounds of rounds. Luke was also paranoid about running out of beer on the trip. He loaded up with four 24 packs of beers before the trip...we're on our 13th day and no-one has popped open a single can. When Luke was sick he was also down to smoking only 1 cigarette a day. That was at the time he said "nicotine is about the only thing I can keep down". Well, we've had smooth sailing for days now. We're following a pressure zone which is beautifully carrying us perfectly east across the ocean. Yesterday was the first sunny day of the entire trip and today is awesome as well. We're now averaging somewhere around 175 miles per day so I suspect we'll be into Hawaii in about 12 days.

Comments

Baltic Man said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Taj said…
WHALES!!!!
Remember what I said about those whales? Hurray! It brings a huge smile to my face. Whale sightings should definately help Dad's recovery. As for the coffee, maybe your body is saying, "no caffeine. You need to rest." And to Luke's no desire for "beer" - 'nuff said on that one. (tee-hee)
They'll be plenty of time for both in the near future.

Madd and Steve were so excited when I read your update this evening at the dinner table.

love you all-
taji-san
Poopy Mouth said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Poopy Mouth said…
First a pod of dolphins and now whales, in the middle of the Pacific - Wow, what an adventure!!! I really wish that I could have been there for that. I'm sure there will be more to come, too.

I'm sorry to hear that Ron is still sick, but if he's making the effort to get up on deck, he must be feeling better. I'm sure the fresh air and sun will do him good.

As for a prediction, a certain experienced sailor had pratically guaranteed Darshuan that he could make the trip to Hawaii in 21-25 days in his boat, Solis, known for her impressive speed, even in the close-haul configuration (37 degrees off the wind). I think that time-frame is what Darshaun is shooting for. However, I will shoot for May 7 th as a prediction, just because I like the number.

To stop in Midway or not to stop in Midway, that is the question... Personally, it depends on many factors, the biggest of those being how Ron is feeling, the weather, and the direction of the wind. I'm sure that Darshaun is thinking about that very question a lot. However, Midway is actually out of the way for him and the direction of the current wind (southeast) makes it harder to get to. Also, I think that Darushaun wants to come in pretty far north of Hawaii because there is usually a high (pressure) sitting north to northeast of Hawaii. The ideal course into Hawaii is to catch the northside of the high and then ride it down the east side into Hawaii. The wind blows clockwise around a High, and this route seems to be the typical way of going into Hawaii on this particular route from Japan, and, of course, Darshuan knows all this. Stopping in Midway would be at least 3 days out of the way, if not more. In my opinion, if the winds keep the way they are now, he'll go for a course north of Midway and then turn south when he is directly north of Hawaii.

Anyway, this is just what I think so please don't assume he is going to do this. As for my prediction for what day, put me down for May 7th whether he stops in Midway or not. If he continues at this speed, he'll be there several days before then.

Godspeed!!!
Ross said…
Hey guys....We're thinking of you every day, reading your blog, sending our love....

Bob & Ayn
Dave Mori said…
Hi Darshaun! Just got your mom's email. I had no idea you were making this trip! I just read about the whales and I wait to read the rest tonight. I will read them to our new little family addition, Max. He loves stories about the sea so I am sure your blog will be a great inspiration for him to become a sailor. Safe travels and keep posting! Hope to see you soon.

Dave, Andrea and Max Mori
Unknown said…
Alright! Now we're into the fun stuff. Playing with warm-blooded boulders and drinking English tea.
13 days without coffee or beer might just be the end of days for a guy like me. You guys seem to be doing well.

It appears that there are quite a few folks following this journey with some sailing experience or first-hand knowledge about Solis.
I have neither.

Since it seems that you're no longer reaching for the barf bag with each keystroke, I've got some questions for ya:

Food stores:
How did you plan it?
Where do you keep it? Refrigerator? Dehydrated?
How do you cook on a boat with all the motion?
Water....are you filtering?
Is there anything that you're craving? Or anything, like the beer, that is collecting dust?

Somehow the ocean gets me hungry for Mexican food and fruit.
Peach....how good would a nice juicy peach go down about now?
Well, think pineapple and that will guide the route to Hawaii.

Equipment:
What have the key pieces been? Sounds like the Monitor wind vane is a good one.
How have they performed so far?
What has failed?
What do you wish you had brought?
What should you have left behind?

Senses:
What does it sound like in the middle of the Pacific at 2am?
Do you get whiffs of anything on a breeze, or does it smell like the ocean all the time?
Aside from the steering wheel, what do you find in your hands during the day/night? Tools, books, fishing pole?
How do you feel about the space? Small bit of cramped real estate set in a wide open area? Cabin fever?

Routine:
What the hell do you guys do all day now that it's not so, "white knuckle" at every moment? Reading, fishing, or constant attention to the duties of piloting and navigating?
We want to know the basic stuff too, like how do you shower?
Do you have an onboard head (capacity issues?) or are you squatting the plank in 10' swells each morning?

Well, on that mental image....answers, boys...we're looking for answers.
Peace

"A passage under sail brings out in the course of days whatever there may of the sea love and sea sense in an individual whose soul is not indissolubly wedded to the pedestrian shore."
Joseph Conrad
Patrick Dorn said…
Wow, I just found the last email in my Spam filter.....I have made sure this won't happen again.

I have now read your entire blog from beginning to current. This reads like an adventure book!

I hope your Dad is feeling better. I think I need to make the trip out to Japan and visit you ....I'll fly though..lol

Keep the blogs coming and stay safe,
Patrick
marina said…
First of all I think I'm going to have to make myself a t-shirt that says "Luke made english tea and served cookies for breakfast" because thats the cutest thing I've ever heard. And...whales!!! Thats so awesome! I hope Uncle Ron starts feeling better. It sounds like he's a lot better off than before so thats good. Love you guys, Marina
p.s. I'm voting for May 8 because 8 is great.
felisconcolor said…
Darshaun,
Thank you for sharing this adventure! I was excited to get the note from your Mom this morning, and I've caught up with all the ship's logs :-)
I just spent 7 days in the BVIs sailing with my family, yet it doesn't even begin to compare to the adventure you are having! I look forward to reading about your upcoming experiences over the next few weeks. Take Care Captain D!

Best, -shawn.
Shawn Davison
Colorado, USA

Popular Posts