The turn off - April 25

Solis log: 33 15'42N 179 59'15W

We just crossed the international date line! Yippie! Now we get to have today all over again...it was the 26th just a little while ago, now it's the 25th again. Too bad it wasn't my birthday, everyone would owe me a second round of cake and ice cream as I enjoy my birthday one more time. This is also significant for us as we now start counting longitude down getting closer and closer to our Hawaiian destination. I think we have our arrival all planned out. It will be out to eat sandwiches, then burgers, then a salad bar then desert, then start the whole cycle again until we have at least gained back all the weight we lost. On that note I was again dreaming last night about food, this time I was at an all you can eat salad bar. It was great!
Dad report: still not in good shape. Really calm seas today, but still very sick. Luke spends almost 90% of his waking hours reading books. He has already read through and entire stack. Amazing. I'm usually up 5 or 6 times a night. I have to admit that I have been a bit grumpy at times on this trip, because waking up to sails flogging or the boat tipping over because of too much sail, or whatever the case may be, I have to jump to it. Last night the wind picked up pretty strong and it was just pouring down rain. I was awoken from my soggy sleeping-bag slumber to the boat with the toe rail dipping too deep into the ocean so I had to go out and drop sail. But it was interesting last night being out there in the rain at who knows what hour that was. Last night was the darkest night of the trip. You could not see half way down the boat it was so dark out. When I went out into the storm last night I heard something. To my absolute surprise and amazement I heard birds. They must have seen my flashlight. I could just hear them making, well, bird sounds. Not a chirp, not a screech, but something in between. They followed with me for some time but then soon diminished. I never did get a look at what they were. For the most part all we see are albatross. They have been flying around the boat everyday for the entire trip. But I have never heard them make any sounds at all. It really makes me wonder what kind of birds those were last night.
It reminded me of my first night sailing trip to an island south of Shimoda. My buddy and I were sailing at night. It was a beautiful night and quiet, but good wind. Suddenly I heard what sounded like breathing around me. It startled me and scared me but when I turned on my flashlight and looked around I found that we were surrounded my dolphins. It was wonderful.
So getting to the title of my blog today. The turn off. When to make the turn off. Hawaii is around 22 degrees, we are currently at 33, so when to make that turn. We're getting close so I'm really starting to watch the weather to try and time it right so we can have good winds to get us the rest of the way. I've been watching for some time and it seems that the timing may be difficult. We could be nailed by a head wind for the last couple of days which may make things a bit rough. Anyway, for now I'm going to throw a shake of south into our eastern course as it seems the winds may be at our backs for the next 3 or 4 days if we do so.

Comments

Martin Bernbaum said…
I’ve been following the saga of your Pacific crossing since the beginning, and because of my connection with your dad and your family (I’m Martin, Toni’s ex), a more harrowing beginning read I cannot imagine. What you three have been through really knocked me overboard (sorry!), and now, with better weather and Japan increasingly distant in your rear view mirror, I am reading your amazing accounts with immense relief and without the white knuckle experience of the past weeks.

Congratulations to you, Darshaun, on bringing the boat through so heroically and a big sigh of relief that you guys are alright!

Ron: dude! I’m sending you prayers for a calm and settled stomach and nothing but fun for the rest of your journey! Luke: good show in the galley! and sweet to hear you're spending quality time in the ship's library, too.

So, prayers for smooth sailing for the rest of your journey, guys, and for enjoying a few cans of beer accompanied by more than a few filets of fish!
Godspeed to you all, the sea-faring branch of the Nadeau family!
;-) Martin
michelle said…
well if the winds are behind you that is a good sign, right? you will be turning like in a diagonal to Kuai, is that the plan? I'm looking at the map your friend made for us to see and it is soooo exciting to watch your advancement, the Hawaian islands look closer but the winds are the issue right?
Sorry about Ron not doing better, hopefully like Shannon is saying you'll be there for mother's day and then Ron will get help.
keep the good work up and hope for good winds.....
love to you all
Ganbatte said…
It sounds like it's only a matter of time until you are all basking in the wonderful weather of Hawai'i, exclaiming "いただきます!" while feasting upon more than fillets of fish. ;)

So proud of you all!


Steven

Popular Posts