32 55'25N 149 25'41E - APRIL 14

Ships log:
It's been a horrendous several days. Even today Luke and Dad are still sick. Luke made it through yesterday without throwing up, but dad is in bad shape. None of us have hardly been able to eat anything for the last 4 days or so. Luke and Dad are so weak they can barely stand or walk around the boat. Except for a few short trips to deck, both have been comatose in bed since the second day out.
The weather has been terrible. Especially yesterday. It was stormy and breaking seas all day long. We had a 20 to 35 knot head wind all day yesterday which made for a terrible fight against the sea. Last night was hideous. I was out on deck fighting the storm but I ran out of energy. I have been without adequate food, water or rest for 3 or 4 days so I tried to just get the boat to come to a stand still so that I could go down and sleep. It was terrible. Big waves were hammering us, breaking over the boat. I finally completely gave up trying to put on my foul weather gear and life jacket everytime I went up on deck. It seemed that I had to just keep going up there so I just left my boots, foul weather gear and life jacket on even down below. I would just pass out on the floor to try and sleep until the next change of weather or waves beckoned me back on deck.
There is so much more but I can't stand to be down below much longer. It makes me ill. But today we have wonderful conditions. Wind from the north. We're screaming along at 10 knots due east. It's warm and sunny. Not like yesterday where it was pounding rain. Luke managed to come on deck and was even able to make soup for Dad. But he quickly went back to bed so he would not eat lunch twice. Dad is just down. I'm worried about him. Even a glass of water makes him throw up. The two of them have pounding headaches from dehydration. I'm just praying for more good weather like we have today. That will do us all good.

Comments

Toni said…
OHMAGAWD! Darshaun you are amazing holding up under these conditions. Your dad desperately need fluids at this point. Any more than about a shot glass an hour can trigger a vomiting response so have him take a tsp at a time....just little sips. He needs electrolytes as you know, any gator aid, emergence C paks or iv fluids on board? Give him salty and sugar to dissolve on his tongue. If the headache is still present he will need a salt water enema 1 tsp/sugar 2 TBSPs/baking soda tsp in a quart of water enema (sorry Ron). If you don't have the proper stuff any tubing will due. He will need this twice a day until the headache subsides and he can take fluids orally.
Just lay him on his side and have him keep in the fluids as long as possible. Of course, you can google dehydration to properly assess the severity and I trust you will be able to keep him out of the extreme danger zone on this. There are hundreds of people sending prayers for all of you....so much love and support are coming your way....prayers for balance, healing and good winds and sunny skies arw coming in strong.
I love you all and send a huge hug to you Ron....you can get through this my love. We all await the news that things have improved.
Taj said…
Hydrate Dad immediately. Do you have compazine or other nausea meds on board?
Toni said…
let me make that more clear:
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
2 tbsp sugar
in 1 quart water
Poopy Mouth said…
Darshaun,

This may or may not work, but it won't hurt to try. Wet a small towel (anything reasonably clean will work) with bottled water and have your Dad and Luke suck on it like a teat (nipple). Sometimes drinking in the normal way can trigger a gag reflex, leading to vomitting. As the two of them progress, they can even bite down on it with their teeth to try to squeeze more water out of the towel. This process may also take their mind off of their seasickness while at the same time providing some liquids for their body. The wet towel can be used like a security blanket but it will provide the fluids that their bodies badly need. Give it a try. For now, just keep their mouths wet with fluid without actually swallowing gulps of water.

I know this is hard to do, but get those guys on deck while the weather is still relatively calm. Start with Luke and then move onto your father. Don't let them talk you out of it either. Make a bed in the cockpit for them so that they can lie flat.

As for you, you know that you have to manage yourself, like I know that you can, like you've done many times before.

My thoughts and prayers are with you. I wish that I was there to help.

potty
Unknown said…
Hang in there!

I can imagine you guys...feeling better, topside by now, running on autopilot, rehydrated, bit of wind in the sails, catching a little sun off your cheeks as you dangle a toe or two through calm waters.

Or maybe you're still battling the grim deep.

In any case, you'll have to be the one's catching this year's fresh Salmon. They have closed the season for Oregon and Washington.

The difference between adventure and adversity is attitude.

Peace
Taj said…
Potty-
My Skype acct. is:
tajiagogo.

No word yet today. Will update the blog as soon as I rcv the next update from my brother.
Nicole said…
I can't even imagine how you all are feeling! Darshaun, you're amazing! I hope that Luke and Ron start feeling better soon.
Please tell Luke that I love him and Im thinking about him all the time.
Just know that Im with you in spirit, Luke.
I love you all

Popular Posts