Rainy days - April 24

Solis log: 33 19'04N 176 10'04E

Today the seas have picked up again a little, but nothing too much.About 6 foot chop with white caps here and there. We're taking them from the side so the boat is rolling around a bit, but nothing dangerous or even too uncomfortable. The rain picked up this morning and is coming down at a medium pace.Since the swell picked up Dad is again totally out of it. Every once in awhile he makes a mad-dash sprint up onto deck to take care ofbusiness. Luke and I really feel bad for him and only wish there was really something we could do. I think Dad would have enjoyed the tropical Hawaiian island hopping tour a lot more than the one of the holy grails of sailing: crossing the Pacific ocean. It is definitely beginning to take its toll. There are a lot of sailors out there and for them, this trip would really not be that big of a deal. I'm not saying we're dealing with conditions like going around the horn or anything. But given that my biggest sailing experience of my life prior to this trip was a 20 hour shot from Shimoda to one of the islands, there is a lot more I know now than before I left. I guess the main thing for me is food. We're barely eating any protein or fat at all. Almost pure carbs for every meal. Dried meats would have been key. And catching a damn fish would have helped...I really don't know what we are doing wrong in that department.Luke and I have been talking about our favorite sandwich shops. Burgers, fries, chips, and big salads. Were going to have a ball when we arrive in Hawaii. This has been such a great trip to spend time with my family. It is just really too bad that Dad has been almost totally incapacitated the entire trip. I don't think I've actually had more than a couple of conversations with him. But Luke and I have been laughing, telling stories and having a good time together.

Comments

margaret said…
Hey Sailors! Here in Brentwood, we have a sedate creek meandering behind the house, moss-filled and evaporating from lack of rain. Tadpoles, egrets, red-wing blackbirds, and three noisy ducks. What a vicarious thrill to read your blog!
You have become my morning routine: alarm at 5:30, coffee water and a slow dial-up connection turned on, then waiting to read the current adventure. Obviously, there are many of us travelling with you in spirit. Darshaun, thank you for your beautiful writing!
marina said…
Man, I'll be so happy for you guys when you get to Hawaii & get burgers in your bellies. Chili & cornbread doesn't sound too shabby though. Sounds like we're all going to have a t-shirt by the time you get to Berkeley. That must have been London Ryan posting before. California Ryan will be posting as California Ryan. xoxo
Cal Ryan said…
Whats up salty dogs? You guys must be pretty salty by now huh? It sounds like an awsome time out there. The only experience i have out on the ocean is Salmon and Halibut but im not even sure you would geta bite unless your line was deep enogh like Gene said. Have you tried swimming alongside the boat on a rope yet Louis? Like Kevin Costner in Waterworld? Just kiddin. I wish I had my line off the side a Solis an' spottin' whales all the while. Be Safe and batter up some fish with some of that dusty beer to have at Galley Grog Louis's Carb Counter.
Jeff Char said…
Sorry to post about food when Ron is not feeling great, but be sure to try some plate lunches when you reach Hawaii. Check out http://www.dakine.net/hawaii/guide/oahu/oahu-platelunch.shtml for an excellent list of places.

Jeff
Taj said…
If it's burger's and fries you want, you're heading to the best stop in the world, Bubba's Burger's on the North-East side of Kauai. Located in Hanalei Bay, it's a road side burger joint, made FAMOUS by locals and houli's alike. It'll be about a 30-40 minute drive from where Solis will dock. You've heard us talk about it before, and for me, not a fan of burger's, it's awesome!
I hope Dad's feeling better today. I imagine him laying down below in a cold, damp bed "totally out of it" as you've written and my heart just aches. Like our entire family and circle of friends, I'm sending positive thoughts of health, love and encouragement to you, King Louie and Dad. Remember the Secret! Keep the energy alive, positive and successful!
taji-san
p.s.
Steve has nicknamed Dad, "the Ancient Mariner". I imagine he'll just love that one as much as the Chronic Barnicle.
michelle said…
Ron; don't make Marc's predictions true, get well, drink tea and hold things down....you want to know what Marc is saying?, well when you get to Hawaii we'll let you know.
Spring is in Paris right now, I went for a 10k bicycle ride yesterday and my legs are sore, I over did it but it was fun, Darshaun when you come to Paris we'll do it together, no waves along the way.....only cars and fumes....
Cheff Luke seems to be doing fine in the kitchen, keep it up!

Cheers
Unknown said…
everyone probably knows I don't know anything about fishing but I did read that it's better to use live bait and to cut it while it's live before fishing with it. also squid is supposed to be good.
dunno if that helps?

I would think if you catch something small put it on your hook and try and catch something bigger with it.

London Ryan ha!

Popular Posts